Sunday, October 7, 2012

Practicum! Yahoo!

Today I find myself a week into the second chapter of my adventure here in Africa- practicum.  Practicum was the main reason that I chose to do my travels with Go-Ed, because it brings something totally different into the traditional study abroad experience.  Basically, in its most basic form, practicum is a month long internship in small groups throughout Rwanda and Uganda.  We receive job descriptions and then look them over and create resumes to apply for our first three choices.  Originally, I was really hoping to find myself teaching for this month, but there were no opportunities for that, so I really looked over all the job descriptions and prayed about it.  I eventually found a job that I thought would be a good fit, the Evangelism Intern at Center for Champions in Rwamagana, Rwanda.  I got the position, and conveniently, it was my field visit site for my NGO project for my development class, so I got to get a sneak peak plus a bunch of information about the site before I even started my practicum. So here’s some of that information for you!
Center for Champions was opened in 2008 by African Evangelical Enterprise, the NGO I did my project on.  AEE is very focused on both evangelism and community development and empowerment, and they were reaching out to street kids through those programs.  They were caring for their immediate needs and sharing the gospel with them, and many kids were coming to Christ through that.  But even with knowing Christ, the kids still had to lie, cheat, and steal in order to get by, and both the kids and AEE clearly saw the problem there.  Out of that came the Center for Champions.  The center runs two major programs.  The first is for boarding students, who are between the ages of 13-25.  These students, currently 51 (48 male, 3 female), live at the center and attend secondary school in the community during the day.  The other program is the catch-up program.  This is 6 years of primary school condensed into 3 and is attended by vulnerable students in the community, between the ages of 12-25.  There are currently four classes, catch up 1, 2a, 2b, and 3, and each class has between 20-35 students.  The center has a library, art room, dorm building, classrooms, volleyball/basketball court, indoor multipurpose room used for chapel and sports, cafeteria, and a new soccer field which is almost ready to be used!
So, we showed up on Sunday at our compound.  It’s absolutely beautiful- so green and garden-y! We settled in our rooms and headed over to the center, where they were hosting a choir concert for local schools.  We got to introduce ourselves, and they were super welcoming- two boys came over right away and volunteered to translate for us.  One choir came up and sang “Soon and very soon we are going to see the King,” which I have distinct memories of singing in my home church, and then a song in Kinyarwanda, and then said that since there were visitors who didn’t speak their language, they would sing one in English, which was incredibly touching.  They sang a beautiful song about going to the river to meet with Jesus and surrendering to Him there as He cleansed you.  At risk of being cliché, it brought tears to my eyes. 
Monday we got a tour of Rwamagana from Carrie, the director of the Center, which is an adorable little town.  We saw the market, supermarkets where we can get water and cookies, Carrie’s house where we have bible study, and other landmarks.  Then we talked about what our weeks would look like and got more acquainted with the Center.  Even though my job title is technically the Evangelism Intern, I let Carrie know that I’m study Elementary Education, and she’s changed my job to focus on getting the library organized and up and running, and other classroom based things which are yet to come.  I absolutely love time spent working on the library- I could be in there all day organizing and sorting.  They boys are really excited that it’s finally coming together, because I guess it’s been a two year project, but hopefully we’ll be able to finish the work of countless other people and interns this coming month!  We also got to meet Jonas and Jonathan, two interns from Germany who are taking a gap year before college and will be at the Center for a year.
The rest of Monday to Friday is all a big blur, and it’s crazy to think that our first week is already over.  Here’s what a typical weekday looks like for us:
8- Breakfast
8:30- Report to Center for Devotions with Carrie
9-10- Work on projects (ex: library)
10-10:30- Recess with the catch-up kids
10:30-12:20- More project time
12:20-1- COCA with catch up kids (Co-Curricular Education time- Gym class)
1-2:30- Lunch back at guest house
2:30-3:30- More project time
3:30-5:30- Sports time with boarding kids (volleyball, basketball, soccer, etc.)
6- Dinner
Off to bed!
Both the Catch-up kids and the boarders are awesome kids.  There is a definite language barrier with most of the kids, but we’re really learning how to communicate with gestures and motions, and are slowly learning more Kinyarwanda.  The students LOVE teaching us Kinyarwanda, and some of them speak fairly decent English, so we’re working on our communication skills.  Some memorable moments from the week:
1- I FINALLY GOT TO PET A BABY GOAT.  If you didn’t know, my goal ever since coming to Africa was to pet a goat.  They’re everywhere, and they’re so precious.  Thankfully, there is a woman who lives across the street from our guest house who has 5 baby goats and a ton of adult goats.  We’ve made friends with her and visit often to hold her baby goats.  We say our 5 words of Kinyarwanda we know, and she grabs the baby goats by the leg and puts them in our arms.  So wonderful and SO adorable.
2- The first catch-up class a girl came up to me and started talking to me in English during our dodge ball game.  She asked me what my name was, how old I was, and my favorite food.  She was twelve and loved bananas, and then helped me carry the bag of dodge balls back up from the multipurpose room. Precious. Unfortunately I forget her name… so many to learn…
3- Playing sports with the boys in the afternoons.  They love the challenge of us trying to steal the basketballs from them as they’re dribbling, and it’s just a ton of fun to play sports with them.  We got to play some good volleyball, which I’ve missed so much, and just spend time together getting to know each other.  The guys are great- they’re really sweet and are a ton of fun to hang out with.  It’s tough not knowing what their saying most of the time, but we’re pretty used to it by now.
4-Kids! Whenever we walk down dirt roads, we’re greeted by tons of kids saying MUZUNGU! and running towards us with open arms and giving our legs hugs.  They’re so precious and adorable, and often there are one or two not wearing pants, which is sad but adorable at the same time.  They’re so cute and always make you feel loved.
5- Friday! Friday was a teacher's holiday, so there was no school for the boarding students or catch up kids, so we headed over to watch some of the boarders play in a friendly soccer match.  A ton of catch-up kids were there, who we got to hang out with.  The other day at chapel they had sang “Our God is an awesome God” in Kinyarwanda, and we sang along in English and did motions.  After playing Frisbee and teaching them funny games, I was with a bunch of young teenage girls who were teaching me a bunch of Kinyarwanda words and wanted to teach me the song in Kinyarwanda and have me teach it to them in English.  We probably sang the song like 20 times, and ended up sitting under a tree while I taught them the song in English and they played with my hair.  Then they taught me a bunch of handshakes and just said things to me that I didn’t really understand while we laughed and laughed. Such a good day. Except that I got my first African sunburn, ouchhh.
6- Church this morning at the Center.  Hallelujah, AMEN! Some of the most genuine worship I’ve seen in a while and it sounded dang good too.  They boarding students’ choir sang “Our God is an Awesome God” in English and Kinyarwanda, which seems to be a theme of this week.  And He sure is. Madi took a recording of a lot of the singing, which I’m so excited to share with people when I return home.

Well, I know this post is insanely long, but I wanted to be sure that I wrote stuff down for my own memory and also to give everyone more details about my life now that I have them.  Hope everyone is doing well, I think of you all often.  Sending my love from Africa!

Now for pictures! (Thanks to Aleaha for all the pictures besides the first one and the two of the library, which are mine) (ps, I just found out that if you click on the picture in the blog you can slideshow through all of them bigger! Just thought I'd share my nugget of wisdom.)
A bit of our new compound!

My first goat petting! Yusss. 

I'm so good with teenagers.  hahah this one made me laugh
so I put it up.  I swear I was having an awesome time, not
at all feeling the way I look in this picture.

My life here. Catch-up kids teaching me
a handshake.

Me and one of the catch-up kids I hung out
with on Friday.
Before shots of the library- textbooks.

The left wall, and some of the back wall.

The back wall.

Right wall.

Holding a goat. Another momentous day.

Standing on the basketball court at the center

No comments:

Post a Comment